Thursday, August 24, 2006

What Would Jesus Sing?

I'm a couple of days into my Jesus year here and it's been...uneventful, I must say. It's been a little weird being unemployed right now. I wonder if Jesus was ever unemployed. I don't think the Gospels are too clear on that point. Not that it was particularly important with all the miracles and such. And, if someone were writing the definitive tale of my life as an inspiration to others, I'm pretty sure they'd leave out the three days spent sitting on my ass watching the first season of 24 on DVD. Not my finest hour.

But I did get out and have a little birthday fun. I'm a fan of karaoke, particularly in bars. I've done the karaoke box, and that's cool, but there's something about throwing it out there in a crowd of strangers. So I tried to gather up my friends and hit some karaoke here in the city. I found a pretty promising spot: Bar 13, near Union Square. And it was pretty much what I'd want from a karaoke bar: dark, mostly empty, not too pricey.

But then, there was the question of what to sing. Over the summer, I had a gig in upstate New York and there was a local bar for karaoke night with something like 1,000, maybe 1,500 songs. Not too shabby, but not a lot of choices over the course of a summer. Bar 13 has 13,000. I was paralyzed. Too many choices...

Still, fun was had. Even though very few of my friends showed up. I'm working on not taking it personally. I don't think I'm doing very well, though. It's been a weird birthday. My mother forgot. My brother forgot. My sister forgot. My dad and my stepmom remembered but they're out of town.

Don't know what it all means...probably nothing. You ever think that Jesus' birthdays sucked. I mean, it sucks to have a birthday on Christmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home